As I've done in the past, when the Giants did not make the playoffs, I would give a Giants fans rooting guide to who to root for, based on the Giants past, if any.
- Texas Rangers: I'm rooting for them the most this post-season. I felt bad for them last season and, hey, they did it again even though Cliff Lee used and snubbed them to get the contract he really wanted. And they made it sort of easy for us last year, no drawn out 7 games to really put us Giants fans in a funk.
- Milwaukee Brewers: I'm rooting for Rangers-Brewers World Series. Fox Network would love that, wouldn't they? Giants do have a bad history with them regarding Fielder being a bowling ball, but if it had not happened to the Giants, yeah, it was pretty funny. Else, nothing really brewing there (honest, did not do that as pun, just came out naturally), plus I feel bad for them always pushing to win it all and failing for one reason or another. They clearly shot their wad this season to win with Fielder this one last time before he breaks their hearts and run off to a 10 year mega-contract somewhere. (Good luck on that, Yankees and Boston already got one, and I don't think Mets can handle one with Madoff losses, bowl on that one big boi).
- Detroit Tigers: Have no hate for them, but nothing compelling like the above for me to root for them higher. Verlander maybe.
- Tampa Bay Rays: I'm tired of hearing all the accolades their management gets. I see their success as more driven by the fact that they purposefully lost horribly for about 10 years, the life of their franchise, giving them great picks atop the draft, and stocking themselves up with talent. Easier to make risky trades like Delmon Young when you have a stockpile of other goodies lying around, not as easy if he's the only one they got. Still, admire their trades, so I have some grudging admiration, but have to see more to give them more credit. Easy to have small payroll when you have a stockpile of young studs, lets see what happens when they all get expensive..
- St. Louis Cardinals: I'm still mad at them for Jack Clark and 1987. 2002 helped take the edge off, and I really don't care for the teams below, from a Giants fan's perspective.
- Philadephia Phillies: I would prefer that the Phillies be known as the Buffalo of the 2010's, coming close but not accomplishing anything with all the riches they have, talent-wise. They are our biggest rivals in the NL, no use encouraging them.
- New York Yankees: No way I reward their spending so much more than 90% of the teams in baseball that it almost guarantees them a spot in the playoffs every year. One and out is what they deserve. Hopefully all MLB revenues will flow through MLBAM eventually and even things out between the teams. Until then, Yankees can suck it, thinking they can buy the title each year.
- Arizona D-backs: Some believe you should back the guys in your division. Sorry, not one of them. I still think they lucked out on this season, so I don't think they deserved it. Take away their extra Pythagorean and 1-run wins and the Giants would have had a nice battle with them the whole month of September for NL West title. Give us Posey, we would have won for sure. Not going to reward them just because Marlins helped them out.