- Peavy: "Dude can pitch, man. Do me a favor and tell him I like his style."
- Webb: "Guys ask about myself and Peavy all the time. But (Cain) is one of the top pitchers in the league, too. I definitely feel for where he's at." (Webb was 7-16 with 3.59 ERA - ranked 15th - when the Diamondbacks lost 111 games in '04; Cain was 7-16 for the Giants last season).
- Peavy again: "He is as good as anybody in the N.L. on a given day. He's a big, strong kid who's going to hold up. He's going to eat innings. I love the mentality, the vibe you get when he's on the mound. I love to see a pitcher stand up for himself and be a competitor on the mound. I totally get that vibe from him."
- Holliday: "I'd sure take him on our staff. There is no doubt he's one of the top young pitchers in the league. He's in the top tier of pitchers in general. He's got a great fastball that moves and he can pitch inside."
Now here are some great quotes from Cain:
- "It's just not respecting the game when that stuff happens, and that's why I get upset about it. That's kind of my little area on the mound and I guard it. I don't want anybody to mess with it, and that's the way I take it. You want to own the mound and you want to own the plate, too. That's my mentality all the time." (said in reference to when Scott Hairston flipped his bat after homer off Cain)
- "There's so much to learn. I definitely look up to Webb and Peavy, Maddux, all those guys. I can learn from them. I can learn from Timmy (Lincecum), even though he doesn't have as much (service) time. I just don't ever think I'm bigger than the game."
Over his career I have seen fans suggest that we need to trade Matt Cain to fix other parts of the team. To me, that's like cutting off your arm, you don't trade a Matt Cain, you keep him around for a long time.
Shame on any Giants fan who even thought of trading Matt Cain at any point. Shame!!!