Sabean Chat on KNBR 6/28
Listened in to their podcast version via RSS - both great inventions - and took some notes.
- Cain not, NOT, NOT, NOT available for trade, he's off limits, he's being counted on for 2007. So you fans who talk about that is wrong. However, I don't recall him saying the same about Lowry.
- Giants strong in pitching with Hennessey, Wilson, Taschner, Munter, so they are looking for a position player, 1B. They are open to a rent-a-player (Schmidt was one, I will note) but prefer a player that they control, like Winn was last year. Each minor league team has a "Do Not Trade" list compiled for each team which Sabean works from when talking with clubs.
- Nothing really happening right now on the trade front, most clubs are wait and see mode until 10-14 days before the deadline when they start pulling the trigger.
- Interested in re-signing Schmidt and Feliz, thinks there's mutual interest, though not sure how much Schmidt wants to test the free agent waters (a lot according to Schmidt quotes I saw over the past year, he does and looks forward to it, but Sabean has to put a good face on that).
- When asked by Ralph if Worrell could be dropped, Sabean did not say that he was safe, he just talked about Worrell being on the spot and perplexing how he was doing well early then nothing, perhaps he came back too early from his DL stint and not 100%
- Unsure on Bonds beyond this year, needs to see where Bonds is at the end of the season, physically and everything, lots of factors beyond chasing Aaron.